READ: Ex-PBA import arrested after NZ bar incident“The NBL has directed the New Zealand Breakers to stand down Glen Rice Jr. from today’s game against the Perth Wildcats at RAC Arena following an incident in Auckland last Thursday,” the NBL said in a statement. “The incident has been referred to the Basketball Australia integrity unit to conduct an investigation. Rice Jnr. is not prevented from training or other club commitments.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4“The NBL will monitor the outcome of the Basketball Australia investigation.”The Breakers previously confirmed that Rice was arrested Thursday after a scuffle in an Auckland bar, only 10 days after joining the Breakers, who are four-time league champions. LATEST STORIES LeBron James, Lakers start fast in racing past Hawks 2 village execs nabbed in Bohol buy-bust 400 evacuees from Taal eruption take refuge in Mt. Banahaw MOST READ No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist Lava gushes out of Taal Volcano as villagers flee “Glen alerted us to an incident the other night that he was out and got into a scuffle with some guys,” Breakers chief executive Matt Walsh told New Zealand media. “He told us and we’re aware of it. We’re trying to get information.“Like anyone on the team we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty.”Rice joined the Breakers as an injury replacement for fellow American Brian “Scotty” Hopson. The 28-year-old is the son of three-time NBA All Star Glen Rice.He attended Georgia Tech but was dismissed by coach Brian Gregory in 2012 after multiple suspensions, the last involving a shooting outside an Atlanta nightclub.Rice was taken by the Philadelphia 76ers as the 35th pick in the 2013 draft but later traded to Washington. He was waived by the Wizards in January 2015.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next FILE – Glen Rice Jr., left, protects the ball against Ginebra’s Joe Devance during a PBA game in 2017. PBA IMAGESWELLINGTON, New Zealand — Australia’s National Basketball League has ordered the New Zealand Breakers not to play former Washington Wizards guard Glen Rice Jr. after his arrest Thursday morning over an altercation in an Auckland bar.Rice traveled with the Breakers to Perth for their league match Sunday against the Wildcats, though it wasn’t clear that he would play. The NBL stepped in only an hour before tipoff with an edict that Rice should sit in the immediate aftermath of his arrest.ADVERTISEMENT Andray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai Sotto Phivolcs: Cloud seeding in ashfall affected areas needs study DSWD Bicol donates P1.5M worth of food packs for Taal eruption evacuees ‘People evacuated on their own’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown01:54MMDA deploys rescue team to Batangas following Taal eruption View comments
King Advertising Limited (KAL) is now celebrating 25 years in the advertising and marketing industry.The full-service agency, which is committed to executing any advertising need, has thus far worked with major local and foreign companies over the years.The King Advertising teamKAL was founded in 1992 and immediately teamed up with what was then one of the leading advertising agencies in Trinidad and Tobago, Aleong and Agostini Advertising Ltd and have since skyrocketed to success.General Manager/Partner Rochelle Peroune, who spearheads the company with her years of experience in advertising and marketing, expressed her delight at the company meeting this milestone.“As we celebrate this silver anniversary, we would like to express our heartfelt gratitude to all of our loyal and faithful clients who have supported us through the years and the various media entities that we work along with. We look forward to working along with you for many more years,” she noted.The creative department of the company is managed by Gregory Shanks who joined the company in 1993 and has nearly 40 years of experience in the field of art, advertising and graphic design. He also expressed great pleasure at the accomplishment of the company thus far.The agency was founded by the late David Robert Lynch King, A A who had been in the field of management and marketing for over 30 years.
The move appears to be in part strategic, with the team adding that they felt that Shanghai provided the best opportunity for Hamilton to take the penalty and still achieve a postive result.“Of the next 4 tracks in the normal cycle, Shanghai is the best place to make the change and take the resulting grid penalty,” Mercedes tweeted.“The Shanghai International Circuit has good overtaking opportunities, so plenty of chance for Hamilton.”The news comes a blow to Hamilton who has been outshone thus far in the 2016 campaign by team-mate Nico Rosberg. While Hamilton was able to secure pole at both the season-opener in Australia and last time out in Bahrain, it was Rosberg who stood on the top step of the podium when all was said and done.Despite the setback, Mercedes remain confident that Hamilton will be able to overcome the penalty.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team’s British driver Lewis Hamilton, seen in the pit lane ahead of the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix, at the Sakhir circuit in Manama, on April 3, 2016. PHOTO/AFP.SHANGHAI, April 14 – Lewis Hamilton has been handed a five-place grid penalty ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix after electing to change his gearbox.The Briton’s Mercedes team has revealed that Hamilton’s gearbox was damaged during the Bahrain GP two weeks ago, and as such it will be replaced.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe joys and headaches of holiday travel: John Phillips“UPS strongly disagrees with the court’s ruling and we are evaluating our options, including an appeal,” company spokesman Norman Black said. “We believe this case is about safety. It has nothing to do with disability or discrimination.” The appeals court, however, said UPS had no right to automatically disqualify deaf or hearing-impaired drivers. “While UPS offered anecdotal testimony involving situations where a driver avoided an accident because he or she heard a warning sound, the company … failed to show that those accidents would not also have been avoided by a deaf driver who was compensated for his or her loss of hearing by, for example, adapting modified driving techniques or using compensatory devices such as backing cameras or additional mirrors,” Judge Marsha Berzon wrote for a three-judge panel of the appeals court. The case was litigated by disability-rights advocates who represented current and former employees who were passed over for driving positions, and other potential employees who consented to what the group dubbed UPS’s “deaf-need-not-apply” policy. “We are obviously ecstatic over the ruling,” said attorney Todd Schneider, who worked with the Berkeley-based plaintiffs group on the case. SAN FRANCISCO – A federal appeals court on Tuesday upheld a lower court ruling that UPS Inc. violated anti-discrimination laws by automatically barring the deaf and hearing-impaired from driving parcel delivery trucks. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with U.S. District Judge Thelton Henderson’s 2004 ruling that the Atlanta-based company’s practices breach the Americans with Disabilities Act. Henderson, in a class-action case representing as many as 1,000 would-be drivers, ruled that the hearing-impaired should “be given the same opportunities that a hearing applicant would be given to show that they can perform the job of package-car driver safely and effectively.” The San Francisco federal court order was stayed pending appeal. On appeal, UPS maintained that its hiring practice was a safety issue and it was not discriminating. “Each deaf person has to be assessed individually to make a determination, just like a hearing person, as to whether they can safely drive a UPS truck,” he added. “That’s all we ever asked.” The dispute centered on UPS’s custom of denying hearing-impaired workers jobs operating delivery trucks weighing under 10,000 pounds. Federal rules demand that trucks exceeding 10,000 pounds be staffed by those meeting certain vision and hearing requirements. The government leaves it up to companies to decide who is qualified to operate lighter vehicles. The U.S. Postal Service and FedEx Corp. allow some deaf drivers to operate delivery vehicles under 10,000 pounds. In 2003, under a $10 million settlement, UPS agreed to track promotions and ensure that hearing-impaired employees and job applicants have access to certified interpreters. The company also agreed to provide text telephones and vibrating pagers to alert poor-hearing employees to emergency evacuations. That settlement resolved all issues in the case except the truck-driving dispute.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Lazio president Claudio Lotito has slammed Juventus for making an unsatisfactory offer for Chelsea, Everton and Manchester United target Keita Balde Diao.Reports emerged on Thursday that Juve had made an offer of £17.8m for the forward, who is ready to find a new club this summer.Diao has one year to run on his current contract at Lazio and he is refusing to sign an extension in the hope he will be sold.Lazio finally appear willing to let the Senegal international go and it was thought he may end up at Juve after they bid £17.8m.However Lotito has now lashed out and revealed the Italian champions offered nowhere near that amount.“It’s not true whatsoever,” Lotito told Il Messaggero when quizzed about a £17.8m offer from Juventus for Diao.“They’re leaking this news deliberately. Their offer doesn’t even reach €15m (£13.4m).” Keita Balde Diao
WASHINGTON – A stark assessment of terrorism trends by U.S. intelligence agencies has found that the U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq has helped spawn a new generation of Islamic radicalism and that the overall terrorist threat has grown since the Sept. 11 attacks. The classified National Intelligence Estimate attributes a more direct role to the Iraq war in fueling radicalism than that presented either in recent White House documents or in a report released Wednesday by the House Intelligence Committee, according to several officials in Washington who were involved in preparing the assessment or have read the final document. The intelligence estimate, completed in April, is the first formal appraisal of global terrorism by U.S. intelligence agencies since the Iraq war began, and it represents a consensus view of the 16 disparate spy services inside government. Titled “Trends in Global Terrorism: Implications for the United States,” it asserts that Islamic radicalism, rather than being in retreat, has metastasized and spread across the globe. An opening section of the report, “Indicators of the Spread of the Global Jihadist Movement,” cites the Iraq war as a reason for the diffusion of jihad ideology. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe Christmas Truce of 1914 proved that peace is possibleThe report “says that the Iraq war has made the overall terrorism problem worse,” said one U.S. intelligence official. More than a dozen U.S. government officials and outside experts were interviewed for this article, and all spoke only on condition of anonymity because they were discussing a classified intelligence document. The officials included employees of several government agencies, and both supporters and critics of the Bush administration. All of those interviewed had either seen the final version of the document or participated in the creation of earlier drafts. These officials discussed some of the document’s general conclusions but not details, which remain highly classified. Officials with knowledge of the intelligence estimate said it avoided specific judgments about the likelihood that terrorists would once again strike on U.S. soil. The relationship between the Iraq war and terrorism, and the question of whether the United States is safer, have been subjects of persistent debate since the war began in 2003. National Intelligence Estimates are the most authoritative documents that the intelligence community produces on a specific national security issue, and they are approved by John D. Negroponte, director of national intelligence. The estimate’s judgments confirm some predictions of a National Intelligence Council report completed in January 2003, two months before the Iraq invasion. That report stated that the approaching war had the potential to increase support for political Islam worldwide and could increase support for some terrorist objectives. Documents released by the White House timed to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks emphasized the successes that the United States had made in dismantling the top tier of al-Qaida. “Since the Sept. 11 attacks, America and its allies are safer, but we are not yet safe,” concludes one, a report titled “9/11 Five Years Later: Success and Challenges.” “We have done much to degrade al-Qaida and its affiliates and to undercut the perceived legitimacy of terrorism.” On Wednesday, the Republican-controlled House Intelligence Committee released a more ominous report about the terrorist threat. That assessment, based entirely on unclassified documents, details a growing jihad movement and says that “al-Qaida leaders wait patiently for the right opportunity to attack.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’ WHITTIER – A suspected street race on Friday 13th ends badly for one man, who lost control of his small car rounding a curve on Beverly Boulevard, then slammed into a tree after he apparently over-corrected, police said. Firefighters had to extracate the man from the wreckage of his compact car, possibly a Honda Civic, which sustained serious damage to the passenger side. The seriously injured man was transported to a County-USC Medical Center. Police were investigating whether the man was racing against another driver when he lost control rounding the curve at Beverly, where the posted speed limit is 15 mph. Neighbors said they often see crashes there involving cars going too fast around the bend. For more on this story, pick up tomorrow’s Whittier Daily News. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The South Korea star did not celebrate his two goals in the 4-0 Champions League win over Red Star Belgrade as a mark of respect to Gomes, as he admitted the last few days have been tough.“Of course it has been a really tough few days but I have realised how lucky I am with all the support I have had from the fans and my team-mates,” Son told BT Sport after Wednesday’s game.“I can say I’m really sorry for the accident and the situation but I had to focus for the team and I had to keep going and it was the right response to all the people who have supported me.“I didn’t want to celebrate because I just want to respect the situation. Of course, I still feel really sorry about this situation. It’s been a few tough days.“I wish Andre Gomes gets well soon and best wishes.” Thank you for your unconditional support! 🙏Obrigado pelo vosso apoio incondicional! 🙏¡Muchas gracias por todo vuestro apoyo! 🙏 pic.twitter.com/KEz31pvWD2— André Gomes (@aftgomes) November 6, 2019“Hi everyone, as you know everything went well,” Gomes said in a video posted to Twitter.“I’m at home with my family and I’d like to thank you for the support, messages and positive energy, thank you.”While Gomes is expected to miss the remainder of the season, a time scale has not been given on when he could return.Nonetheless, Everton manager Marco Silva has backed the Portugal international to come back even stronger as both a player and a man.“He was with us yesterday at Finch Farm and it was really good for everyone to see him, to have that first contact with him after a tough moment for all of us,” Silva told Everton’s official website.“Andre has had some injuries in the past, not so tough and serious, and he won those challenges.“And it will be the same again, I don’t have doubts. He will become stronger as a football player but more as a man.”Spurs midfielder Son was left distraught over the incident, leaving the pitch in tears after being shown a red card, which was later rescinded after an appeal. 1 Andre Gomes of Everton is tackled by Heung-min Son Andre Gomes has posted a video on social media to thank fans for their support and provide an update on his progress following a serious ankle injury.The Everton midfielder was taken straight to hospital after a challenge from Tottenham’s Heung-min Son left him with a fracture dislocation, before undergoing surgery on Monday. getty
Celtic have been drawn against Rangers in the semi-finals of the League Cup with Morton facing Aberdeen in the other last-four match.The Glasgow rivals will meet at Hampden with a place in the final at stake. The first encounter between the sides this season saw Celtic run out 5-1 winners at home.The Scottish champions booked their place in the last four with a 2-0 win over Alloa on Wednesday, while Rangers romped to a 5-0 win over Queen of the South 24 hours earlier. Morton progressed after a 2-1 win against Dundee United in an all-Championship quarter-final, while Aberdeen booked their Hampden spot with a last-gasp goal against St Johnstone. Ties will be played on the weekend of October 22/23.
Aberdeen defender Andy Considine has committed his future to the club by signing a two-year extension to his contract.The 29-year old’s existing deal was due to expire in the summer, allowing him to talk to other clubs about a move. However, he has followed Graeme Shinnie and Jonny Hayes by agreeing terms on a new deal.Considine has spent his entire career at Aberdeen, having come through the club’s youth system, and only ten players have more appearances for the Dons.