Offering high performance while maintaining energy efficiency is the name of the game in the chip industry, CEO Paul Otellini said at the Intel Developer Forum. “The industry is going through the most profound shift in decades, moving to an era where performance and energy efficiency are critical in all market segments and all aspects of computing,” he said. “The solution begins with the transistor and extends to the chip and platform levels.” Otellini said the Santa Clara-based company’s chips would deliver a 300 percent improvement in performance per watt over the next four years. The new products give Intel – the world’s largest chip maker – the opportunity to reverse sinking profits and regain market share stolen by AMD. Earlier this month, Intel announced it would cut 10 percent of its staff, or 10,500 positions, to save $3 billion per year by 2008. Analysts have criticized Intel for reacting too slowly after AMD’s 2003 launch of the Opteron and Athlon 64 chips for servers and desktop PCs. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN FRANCISCO – Intel Corp. plans to begin shipping microprocessors that have four computing engines on a single chip – products that analysts say will help it win back market share from rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. The first chip, the Intel Core 2 Extreme quad-core processor, will be available in November. Intel says it will deliver a 70 percent performance improvement over Intel’s current chips, which have one or two computing cores. The new chip is aimed at gamers, programmers and other people with heavy-duty computing needs. For general consumers, Intel will ship a quad-core chip starting in the first quarter of 2007. For businesses, Intel will begin shipping four-core server chips later this year. A low-energy, quad chip for servers will be launched early next year, the company said Tuesday.
By Hub City Times staffAUBURNDALE – The Auburndale Apaches boys basketball will continue post-season play after a win against Spencer March 1 in Auburndale.Auburndale went into the locker room at halftime with a 34-29 lead and continued that lead into the second half, winning the game 69-52.Austin Bacon was high for Spencer with 19 points. Auburndale’s Colton Wright nailed 22 points, while Cooper Weinfurter added 17.Auburndale will advance to the regional final March 2 at 7 pm at home. They will face the winner of Thorp versus Phillips – score not reported.
Former England skipper Michael Vaughan slammed India for their slow over-rate as the visitors defeated England to clinch the three-match T20I series 2-1.In the series-decider at Bristol, Rohit Sharma slammed 100 off 56 balls to lead India to a seven-wicket win.Rohit smashed five sixes and 11 fours as India chased down the stiff target of 199 with eight balls to spare. Rohit was ably supported by Virat Kohli, who made 43 and Hardik Pandya’s unbeaten 33.For England, Jason Roy (67) and Jos Buttler (34) shared an opening stand of 94 inside eight overs. Alex Hales (30) and Jonny Bairstow (25) then made useful contributions as hosts made 198-9 in 20 overs.India vs England: Rohit’s 100*, all-round Pandya script India’s series winWhile Indian bowlers made an impressive comeback towards the end of England innings to restrict the hosts to under 200, they came under crticism for slow over-rate by Vaughan.Vaughan in his tweet wrote: “The Indian T20 over rate this series has been appalling ….. Get on with it …. #ENGvIND”The Indian T20 over rate this series has been appalling ….. Get on with it …. #ENGvINDMichael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) July 8, 2018The former cricketer’s argument was, however, countered by few Indian fans, who wrote that regular boundaries and wickets are behind the slow over-rate.Every ball is going outside the groundNote this point tooButler Fan (@butler_abd) July 8, 2018When a team scores 200 and loses 8 wickets. It means the ball is going out of park a lot and also time between the wickets. I wonder how fast was Englishs over rate. Also I wonder how slow over rate affects anyone? Good for sponsors and spectatorsadvertisementGaurav Patel (@Gaurav_Patel7) July 8, 2018Might have something to do with the absolute carnage by the English openersRitesh Biswal (@riteshbiswaal) July 8, 2018Come on don’t find excuses. India were clearly betternaveen sarawagi (@naveensarawagi1) July 9, 2018The 43-year-old’s comments come after David Willey accused Indian bowlers of not playing within the spirit of the game. Willey complained that Indian bowlers repeatedly pulled out of their delivery strides during first T20I at Manchester.Rohit Sharma joins Virat Kohli in elite T20 Internationals list”I’m guessing, but I think he (Bhuvneshwar) was looking to see what I was going to do,” Willey said. “They did that a few times. The spinners did it a couple of times. I’m not sure what the rules are on that. I don’t particularly like it. I don’t think it is necessarily in the spirit of cricket.”MS Dhoni continues record-breaking spree in T20IsIn the first T20I, English batsmen struggled against Kuldeep Yadav as the left-arm spinner clinched a five-wicket haul to lead India to a eight-wicket win.The criticism, however, would matter little to the Indian camp as they bounced back impressively in the third T20I after losing the second match at Cardiff by five wickets.It was India’s sixth straight T20I series win and their first in England.
Shirley Dorin, 86, said she and her husband had decades of frustration after allowing an oil well to be drilled on their property near Didsbury in central Alberta in 1970.There was constant flaring that lit up their house, she said, and she developed Parkinson’s disease.Production equipment was eventually removed a few years ago but the site, which has had several owners, still remains.“We didn’t know what it was like to have your life controlled by an oil company and we really didn’t know what we were in for, that’s for sure,” Dorin said. CALGARY, A.B. – A coalition of Alberta landowners, researchers and former regulators say it could cost as much as $70 billion to clean up more than 300,000 orphan oil and gas wells in Alberta.The Alberta Liabilities Disclosure Project released the numbers Monday in Calgary.“Fiscally and environmentally, this is a ticking time bomb,” lead researcher Regan Boychuk told a news conference. “We want it gone.”Her son, Mark, is president of Dorin Land and Oilfield Management and is a member of the coalition.“We can’t develop our land,” he said. “Albertans simply can’t afford to wait another four years for variable solutions as the mess continues to grow.” “They sit idle and they may look harmless, but they’re not. All wells leak eventually and that’s why it’s so important they are plugged and reclaimed properly.”Boychuk said it’s not too late to make well clean up a campaign issue before the April 16 provincial election.“This is the moment when politicians are the most receptive,” he said. “The day after the election is when politicians are the least receptive to public concern. That’s why we are making this data public today to try and influence this debate.”He said most political parties are talking about boosting Alberta’s resource sector but not about the environmental costs involved.“We can either spend money on drilling more wells or spend money on cleaning up.”Boychuk said about $200 million is being held by the Alberta government as a deposit to pay for the cleanup of unreclaimed wells. The problem gets worse once the additional costs of tailing ponds, mines and pipelines are included.
Although the youngest athlete competing in Rio is 13-year-old Gaurika Singh, a swimmer representing Nepal, gymnastics is unique for its high concentration of teenage girls. This year, 16.8 percent of gymnasts are younger than 18, and all of those young athletes are women. Swimming has a higher total number of competitors under 18, but that group makes up only 9.1 percent of the field. That doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions. Oksana Chusovitina, a 41-year-old from Uzbekistan, is competing in her seventh Olympics, making her the oldest female gymnast in Olympic history. Chusovitina will compete in the vault finals on Sunday.What about the other end of the age spectrum, where I might have a chance? With a median age of 36, equestrians are the oldest Olympians. More sedate sports also tend to have older athletes; golf and shooting are near the top of the list. Beach volleyball, tennis and cycling also have older competitors.The prize for the oldest Olympian in Rio goes to 62-year-old Julie Brougham, a rider from New Zealand who is attending her first Olympics. Brougham had her Olympic debut Wednesday, in individual dressage. But Brougham isn’t the only athlete in Rio who has lived at least six decades. There are four other Olympians who are 60 or older, all of whom are competing in equestrian events. Still, equestrian is not dominated by older competitors: Among Olympic sports, it has one of the widest distribution of ages, with athletes that range in age over a 44-year span. As I expected, gymnasts are among the youngest Olympians. Of all the groups I looked at, women’s artistic gymnastics (the “regular” gymnastics)2There are two other categories of gymnastics at the Olympics: trampoline and rhythmic. has the lowest median age — 19. That puts Biles in the very middle of her peers. Also, artistic gymnastics (along with golf) has the largest gap between the median ages of men and women participants — five years. That’s because of the sport’s high number of women and girls under 20. It’s not age holding me back from being an Olympian. If I want a shot at gold in 2056, I had better go find a horse. We’re on the ground in Rio covering the 2016 Summer Olympics. Check out all our coverage here.Most adults probably feel as though they missed their chance at making it to the Olympics. Even at 24, I feel decrepit and ancient watching 19-year-old Simone Biles execute flips and twists at the Rio Games with an athleticism that I will never attain. Still, Biles got me wondering which Olympic events I theoretically might still have a shot of participating in at my age (assuming I could change pretty much everything about my genetic makeup and lifestyle in a very short period of time). For each sport of the 2016 Games, I looked at the median age of the participants — overall, men and women — using data from athlete profile pages on the Rio 2016 website.1As of Aug. 3, there were 11,384 athletes on the site for which we obtained age data.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:ex price club employees takes case to labor tribunal, Gus Karagianis, Price club closes, terminated workers still protesting Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, August 23,2016 – The conciliation process at the Labour Department for the still protesting ex-employees of the now closed Price Club was a bust. Magnetic Media learned that Gus Karagianis did not show up for the sessions with the Commissioner of the Employment Services of TCIG and it has left nearly 20 men destitute. In a follow up yesterday on the matter, which began three weeks ago and which continues to spawn demonstrations at the parking area of the now, Payless Grocery store, Magnetic Media learned that there have been 14 cases filed at the Labour Tribunal and that 11 of the Haitian men, who worked as long as 18 years at Price Club but were let go without severance pay, have hired attorney Peter McKnight.Gus could be facing a whopping payout if the men win their case. The plaintiffs showed us the letter they received on July 17, 2016 to say the store was suffering too much loss and was unable to compete in the current market; the letter told them the company would not rebound and will open for the final time on Sunday August 7, 2016. The problem here is, by law, there should be a two month notice and because there was not, the men are owed that two months of salary. Add to this, the Employment Ordinance 2014 explains that the plaintiffs are supposed to be paid two weeks for every year once they had been employed at Price Club for two years. One man showed us what the Labour Department calculated as owing to him; it was over $16,000 and he had only been employed since 2011… the staff who were on for 18 years will be entitled to far more. Again, the case is now with the Labour Tribunal.
Latest on Rebecca Zahau trial with Caitlin Rother Testimony continued Tuesday in the Rebecca Zahau case.On Monday, the man being sued by Zahau’s family took the stand. Her family believes 54-year-old Adam Shacknai, the younger brother to Zahau’s boyfriend, killed her.Shacknai testified saying he left the guest house of the Coronado mansion around 6:45 a.m. That’s when he saw Rebecca hanging from the balcony.Shacknai then says he called 911, brought Zahau to the ground and tried to perform CPR. He testified he did not kill her.The trial has spanned several weeks now and author and journalist, Caitlin Rother, has been following it closely.She joined KUSI with an update. KUSI Newsroom Posted: March 20, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Caitlin Rother, Rebecca Zahau, Zahau FacebookTwitter March 20, 2018
Bruce Shelley with HEA: “We want to let our members know that the best thing that they can do when they receive a phone call like this, that is suspicious, is hang up and call directly back to Homer Electric. That is your best course of action to make sure it is a valid call from the utility.” According to a release from HEA, there has been a recent report of an individual, posing as an HEA representative, confronting local businesses in person and threatening to disconnect their power if payment is not made immediately. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Homer Electric Association, Inc. is getting reports again from area businesses regarding suspicious HEA impersonators over the phone – as well as in person. The goal of the scammers is to obtain credit card numbers or other financial information and payment.If a suspicious phone call is received, end the phone call and contact HEA for verification and to checkthe status of your account. In addition, business members have received phone calls from fraudulent callers impersonating a utilityrepresentative and requesting payment for the customer’s supposed past due bill. The fraudulent callerthreatens immediate disconnection of electric service if the bill is not paid. If you have questions or need additional information, call 1-800-478-8551.
This story first appears on FOLIO: sister site, minonline. Paul Jowdy, who last Thursday (Oct. 27) ended a five-month stint as Every Day with Rachael Ray publisher with the magazine’s sale by Reader’s Digest Association to Meredith Corp., was hired in the same capacity today (Nov. 2) at Women’s Wear Daily.Read the rest of the story here.
Peter Celauro has been named brand journalist at Group Delphi. He had been editor at Pond Trade Magazine. “Will has shaped and edited the fashion pages of GQ for years, and he’s uniquely qualified for this exciting opportunity,” says GQ editor-in-chief Jim Nelson. “We want GQ Style to showcase a luxurious sense of style and a sophisticated, worldly way of life—GQ with a gold passport. And Will Welch is the man for the job.” Josh Ellis has been named editor-in-chief at Success. He had been features editor there. Welch joined GQ in May 2007 as an associate editor covering fashion, pop culture, and music. He was promoted to senior editor in 2012 and style editor in 2014. In nearly nine years on the fashion beat for GQ, Welch spearheaded the publication’s annual April “Style Bible” issue, its list of “The 20 Most Stylish Men Alive,” as well its new franchise “The GQ 100”—a ranking of the 100 best men’s stores in America. Laura McMullen is now a writer at NerdWallet. She was previously careers editor at U.S. News & World Report, where she managed the publication’s On Careers blog. Laura also wrote articles with career advice and managed social media. Prior to that, she was health reporter and project manager where she wrote hundreds of articles for the Health & Wellness section. Mashable has named Isabelle Chapman its new associate tech editor, focusing on Snapchat Discover. A graduate of Columbia Journalism School, she most recently served as associate editor at AOL. Chapman also previously worked as editorial fellow at AOL, senior editor at NKD Magazine and reporter at The Aspen Times. Here are the rest of this week’s people on the move: The Cut editorial director Stella Bugbee has announced that Rebecca Ramsey has been named style director at The Cut, and will coordinate fashion efforts both online and in The Cut section of New York magazine. Prior to joining New York, she worked at W magazine for five years, and on the design team at clothing retailer Gap. Will Welch has been named editor-in-chief of GQ Style. The announcement comes amid plans to expand GQ Style from a bi-annual print edition to a quarterly magazine, as well as expanding its digital footprint. Univision Digital, the digital division of Univision Communications, Inc. (UCI) has announced that Hilda García has been appointed to the newly created position of vice president, Digital Local Media. Before joining Univision Digital, García was VP of Multimedia Content and Community Development for Entravision Communications Corporation. Prior to joining GQ, Welch spent four years at the music, fashion, and lifestyle magazine The FADER, where he was deputy editor. Welch graduated from Columbia University and now lives in New York City. O, the Oprah Magazine managing editor Adam Bell has been named managing editor and director of editorial partnerships. The announcement was made by the magazine’s editor in chief, Lucy Kaylin, and is effective immediately.