(CWI) PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Cricket West Indies has confirmed that the Opinion Report by an Independent Assessor at Loughborough University has found the bowling action of Guyana Jaguars pacer Ronsford Beaton to be illegal and, as such, he has been suspended from bowling in domestic West Indies matches with immediate effect. The assessment revealed that Beaton’s deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under playing regulations. Beaton will remain suspended until such time as his action is found to be legal, either by an Opinion Report from Loughborough University or by an independent analysis from an accredited testing centre, in accordance with the CWI Regulations for Dealing with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions. He is expected to undergo remedial work supervised by the Jaguars franchise and can apply for a reassessment after modifying his bowling action in accordance with the Regulations. The 27-year-old Beaton was reported for a suspect bowling action during the Jaguars’ game against the United States last Monday in the Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup. Beaton’s action was cited by match officials after he bowled eight overs for figures of 0-37 during the game at the Queen’s Park Oval, which the Jaguars won by 13 runs.
A bat used by New York Yankees great Lou Gehrig has sold for more than $1 million. The bat, which dates back the early 1920s, was put up for auction by Heritage Auctions in Dallas in February with a $950,000 reserve price.Heritage Auctions director of sports auctions Chris Ivy said the reserve wasn’t met, but a private buyer purchased the item last week for $1.025 million.“We had been discussing the bat with (the buyer) over several conversations the last couple weeks,” Ivy said, per ESPN.com. “He decided to pull the trigger last week and make the purchase.” According to Ivy, Gehrig liked this particular Louisville Slugger so much that he sent it to the manufacturer to use as a model for his future bats.Gehrig, who died at 37 in 1941, batted .340 with 493 home runs and 1,995 RBIs in 17 seasons with the Yankees (1923-39). He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1939 by a special election.A bat used by fellow Yankees legend Babe Ruth to hit his first home run at Yankee Stadium sold in 2004 for $1.3 million. —Field Level Media
Nick Bunyard, the manager of non-league football club Frome Town, has claimed he has been made a scapegoat after being banned from all football until 2019.The Football Association (FA) has banned Bunyard after a commission found him to be guilty of placing 45 bets on his own teams between September 2014 and April 2016.The FA has imposed the ban after he admitted to the misconduct charge in relation to the FA Rule, which prohibits anyone involved in the game from betting on any football matches worldwide.An FA statement read: “Frome Town manager Nick Bunyard has been suspended from all football and football related activity until 1 July 2019 and fined £3,000 after breaching The FA’s Betting Rules. For the duration of the suspension, which is effective from 19 April 2016, he must not attend any ground at which Frome are playing on a match day at any level.“An Independent Regulatory Commission heard how Mr Bunyard admitted misconduct in relation to 97 breaches of FA Rule E8(1)(a)(i) relating to betting activity between 13 September 2014 to 9 April 2016. Of the 97 bets, 45 were placed against Paulton Rovers FC and Frome Town FC while he was manager.”Bunyard told the Wiltshire Times: “Some people might look at this and question my integrity but match-fixing wasn’t on the charge sheet. Sometimes, I bet on us to lose and sometimes, I bet us on to win. One example was a match away at Redditch United with Frome (on March 21). We had nine first-team regulars missing and they were top-of-the-league.“We were actually 1-0 up and were only robbed by the referee to allow them an equaliser, and anybody who was at the game would have seen how animated I was and how much I wanted us to win. You could say that the injuries were insider knowledge, but anybody picking up the paper that morning would have known about them too.“I was naïve and I hold my hands up for that because I deeply regret what I’ve done, but I feel like I’ve been made a scapegoat. I know so many people across non-league football that bet on matches. It’s systemic and it’s one of those things that people do to soften the blow after a game. I never profited from those bets and I just moved on.” Share Betway ends all football transfer markets June 17, 2020 Share Wycombe footballer suspended after placing 183 bets January 24, 2020 Related Articles StumbleUpon Submit FA hands Daniel Sturridge four-month ban over betting breaches March 3, 2020
After being designated for assignment for the second time this season earlier this week, Orioles pitcher Brad Bergesen has found a new baseball home in Arizona.As first reported by Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, the Diamondbacks claimed the right-handed pitcher on waivers after Bergesen was removed from Baltimore’s roster on Wednesday to make room for starting pitcher Tommy Hunter. The Orioles hoped Bergesen would clear waivers like he did back in May, but the Diamondbacks will place him on their 40-man roster.Pitching for Triple-A Norfolk this season, Bergesen was 4-3 with a 4.03 earned run average and one save in 22 games that included 10 starts. He allowed 90 hits, struck out 41, and walked 23 in 80 1/3 innings. The 26-year-old did not appear in a game for the Orioles this season.Bergesen’s best season for the Orioles came in 2009 when he went 7-5 with a 3.43 ERA in 19 starts as a rookie. However, a line drive off the bat of Kansas City’s Billy Butler struck the pitcher’s shin on July 30 of that season, ending his rookie campaign. That incident coupled with an offseason shoulder injury led to little success the next two seasons as Bergesen bounced back and forth between Baltimore and Triple-A Norfolk.He ends his Orioles career with a 17-24 record and a 4.68 ERA in 83 games and 59 starts.
OWINGS MILLS, Md. — After missing the first practice of the summer on Thursday, Ravens wide receiver Mike Wallace has passed his conditioning test and participating in Friday’s workout.The eighth-year wideout failed on his first try Wednesday and was officially placed on the non-football injury list. Though not a great impression to make at the start of training camp, a veteran or two failing the Ravens’ challenging conditioning test has been a common occurrence in the John Harbaugh era and is not a real concern in the big picture.Also absent on Thursday after failing his conditioning test, cornerback Jerraud Powers was once again missing on Friday morning. Powers, 29, is considered the favorite to be Baltimore’s slot cornerback in the nickel and dime packages this season.Rookie running back Kenneth Dixon was not practicing on Friday after suffering an MCL sprain to his left knee on the first day. Other players absent from the session included wide receivers Steve Smith (Achilles) and Breshad Perriman (knee), linebackers Terrell Suggs (Achilles) and Elvis Dumervil (foot), and running backs Trent Richardson (knee) and Lorenzo Taliaferro (foot).
It took longer than most envisioned at the start of the offseason, but the Ravens have finally landed a coveted veteran wide receiver.Just a few days after a productive visit in Owings Mills, Jeremy Maclin agreed to a two-year deal and will fly to Baltimore to sign his contract on Tuesday morning, just in time for the start of a three-day mandatory minicamp. Released by Kansas City as a salary-cap casualty on June 2, the 29-year-old also visited Buffalo last week and told the Ravens he wanted more time to make a decision before leaving the team’s training facility without a deal on Friday afternoon.Maclin was recruited on social media by Ravens safeties Eric Weddle and Tony Jefferson with the latter hosting the free agent for an NBA Finals viewing party with several other Ravens players last Thursday.The 6-foot, 198-pound Maclin is coming off an injury-plagued 2016 in which he set career lows in catches (44), receiving yards (536), and touchdown receptions (two) while battling a groin ailment, but he enjoyed the best two seasons of his career just before that. His career-best 1,318 receiving yards with Philadelphia in 2014 prompted the Chiefs to sign him to a lucrative five-year, $55 million deal, and Maclin responded by collecting a career-high 87 catches with 1,088 receiving yards in 2015.A first-round pick of the Eagles in 2009, Maclin has recorded at least 60 catches and 800 receiving yards in five of his seven active NFL seasons. He missed the entire 2013 campaign with a torn ACL suffered early in training camp.Players no longer on the roster accounted for 53 percent of the Ravens’ receptions and 49.7 percent of their receiving yards a year ago as the offense struggled to produce consistently. This reality made it clear that general manager Ozzie Newsome needed to do more than simply hope that 2015 first-round wide receiver Breshad Perriman and a deep inventory of tight ends would emerge to replace the likes of Steve Smith, Dennis Pitta, and Kamar Aiken. Baltimore did not select a wide receiver in the draft for the first time since 2009, creating even more angst within the fan base.Pitta’s unfortunate hip re-injury and subsequent release earlier this month made it even more critical for the Ravens to add an experienced threat for quarterback Joe Flacco.The Ravens’ projected top receiving trio of Maclin, Mike Wallace, and Perriman should provide more than enough speed with Maclin also offering the route-running ability and toughness to play in the slot and work the intermediate portion of the field. Baltimore has also shown interest in soon-to-be-released New York Jets wide receiver Eric Decker — an ESPN report said his addition was still a possibility despite Maclin’s signing — but it would be difficult to fit both veterans under an already-tight salary cap.Maclin has registered 474 receptions, 6,395 receiving yards, and 46 touchdowns in his NFL career.The next question will be whether Newsome adds a veteran offensive lineman after starting right tackle Rick Wagner departed via free agency and starting center Jeremy Zuttah was traded this offseason. The Ravens have rotated the trio of Ryan Jensen, John Urschel, and Matt Skura at the starting center spot while fourth-year veteran James Hurst has worked as the first-team right tackle during spring workouts.
OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson missed Thursday’s practice with an illness that isn’t expected to jeopardize his availability for Sunday’s game at Cincinnati.Jackson was the second Baltimore player to miss practice due to being under the weather this week after seven-time Pro Bowl right guard Marshal Yanda didn’t participate in Wednesday’s workout. It’s never ideal for your starting quarterback to miss practice time three days before a game, but the Ravens are preparing to face a winless Bengals team ranking last in the NFL in total defense and rush defense, which should ease concerns. Baltimore is aiming for its first season sweep of Cincinnati since 2011 after winning 23-17 at M&T Bank Stadium in Week 6.Third-string quarterback Trace McSorley did his usual work on the scout-team special-teams units as No. 2 quarterback Robert Griffin III threw passes to tight ends Mark Andrews and Nick Boyle during the media viewing portion of practice, another indication that the Ravens expect Jackson to be OK to play on Sunday.Coincidentally, the only other time Jackson has missed a regular-season practice in his brief NFL career was the Thursday prior to his first start against the Bengals last November, which was also because of illness. Two of Jackson’s four career 100-yard rushing performances have come against Cincinnati, including his career-high 152-yard outburst on Oct. 13.Left tackle Ronnie Stanley returned to practice on a limited basis Thursday wearing a brace on his left knee after tweaking it in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s win over New England.After receiving a veteran day off on Wednesday, safety Earl Thomas was listed as limited as he continues to nurse a minor knee issue. Wide receiver Chris Moore was limited with a left thumb injury for the second straight day and didn’t attempt to catch any passes with that hand during the portion of practice open to the media.A day after suffering a setback with the ankle injury that’s sidelined him since the start of training camp, Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green has all but ruled himself out for Week 10. Cincinnati head coach Zac Taylor indicated Green was ready to make his season debut prior to Wednesday’s practice, but the seven-time Pro Bowl selection is experiencing swelling in his ankle that’s prevented him from practicing this week. It’s another tough blow for a struggling team whose chances for Sunday’s game already weren’t great with rookie fourth-round quarterback Ryan Finley making his first NFL start.Green, a 2011 first-round pick who’s given the Ravens defense significant problems over the years, is in the final year of his contract.“I’m a competitor. I want to play, but sometimes you go through these bumps in the road that you’ve got to stay focused,” Green told reporters in Cincinnati on Thursday. “You’ve got to look at the long-term picture. I’ve got to make sure I can play for another five years without having to worry about this thing, not just thinking of the now.”Below is Thursday’s full injury report:BALTIMOREDID NOT PARTICIPATE: QB Lamar Jackson (illness), DT Brandon Williams (non-injury)LIMITED PARTICIPATION: WR Chris Moore (thumb), OT Ronnie Stanley (knee), S Earl Thomas (knee), G Marshal Yanda (illness)FULL PARTICIPATION: RB Mark Ingram (non-injury)CINCINNATIDID NOT PARTICIPATE: WR A.J. Green (ankle), CB Dre Kirkpatrick (knee), G Alex Redmond (knee/ankle)FULL PARTICIPATION: CB Darqueze Denard (hamstring), TE Tyler Eifert (non-injury), OT Cordy Glenn (concussion), DE Carl Lawson (hamstring), G John Miller (groin)
Related Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has won the latest edition of UEFA Goal of the Season.The 33-year-old was named the award recipient earlier on Tuesday for his bicycle kick against Italian champions Juventus while he was in the colours of European champions Real Madrid.Ronaldo recently secured a club record transfer from Real Madrid to Juventus during the current transfer window.He saw off competition from 11 nominees from several UEFA competitions to win the award.His bicycle came during Real Madrid’s first leg clash with Juventus in last season’s Champions League quarterfinal.The Portugal international captain connected with Spanish right back Dani Carvajal’s cross acrobatically to add to his opener.Real Madrid won the match 3-0 at the Juventus Stadium.Video Playerhttps://www.busybuddiesng.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/tweet_20180828_153116.mp400:0000:0000:21Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.
Premier League (PL) giants Arsenal and Chelsea have been handed tricky fixtures in the group stage of this season’s UEFA Europa League.The London sides found out their opponents during the draw held in Monaco earlier on Friday.Arsenal were drawn in Group E alongside Portuguese Super League side Sporting Lisbon, Qarabag of Azerbaijan and Ukrainian club Vorskla Poltava.2012 champions Chelsea will face PAOK Saloniki of Greece, Belarusian Premier League outfit BATE Borisov and Vidi of Hungary in Group L.Last season’s finalists Olympique Marseille are in Group H alongside Italian Serie A side Lazio, Eintracht Frankfurt of Germany and Cypriot side Apollon Limassol.Spanish La Liga giants Atletico Madrid defeated Marseille 2-0 to win the competition last season.Group A: Bayer Leverkusen (Germany), Ludogorets Razgrad (Bulgaria), FC Zurich (Switzerland), AEK Larnaca (Cyprus)Group B: Salzburg (Austria), Celtic (Scotland), RB Leipzig (Germany), Rosenborg (Norway)Group C: Zenit St Petersburg (Russia), FC Copenhagen (Denmark), Bordeaux (France), Slavia Prague (Czech Republic)Group D: Anderlecht (Belgium), Fenerbahce (Turkey), Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia), Spartak Trnava (Slovakia)Group E: Arsenal (England), Sporting Lisbon (Portugal), Qarabag (Azerbaijan), Vorskla Poltava (Ukraine)Group F: Olympiakos (Greece), AC Milan (Italy), Real Betis (Spain), Dudelange (Luxembourg)Group G: Villarreal (Spain), Rapid Vienna (Austria), Spartak Moscow (Russia), Rangers (Scotland)Group H: Lazio (Italy), Marseille (France), Eintracht Frankfurt (Germany), Apollon Limassol (Cyprus)Group I: Besiktas (Turkey), KRC Genk (Belgium), Malmo (Sweden), Sarpsborg (Norway)Group J: Sevilla (Spain), Krasnodar (Russia), Standard Liege (Belgium), Akhisar Belediyespor (Turkey)Group K: Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine), Astana (Kazakhstan), Rennes (France), Jablonec (Czech Republic)Group L: Chelsea (England), PAOK Saloniki (Greece), BATE Borisov (Belarus), Vidi (Hungary)Related
Chelsea star Eden Hazard insists Chelsea would be happy just to secure a top-four finish this season and are not nursing title ambitions.Chelsea was well beaten in their first league defeat of the season against London rivals Tottenham on Saturday.They now sit fourth, seven points behind league leaders Manchester City having led the league table at some point in the season but Hazard admitted the reigning champions are currently the better side.“We are thinking about finishing in the top four, not to be the champions. We know City are not much better than Chelsea but they are better at the moment,” Hazard told Evening Standard:“City are better in a lot of things: possession; when they have chances, they score; maybe defensively they are better. They have top players.”“Is it due to their consistency as well, winning game after game? Yes, of course. They are in a good momentum since last year and we need to be back like this.”Chelsea’s form has nosedived slightly with just two wins from their last five games, but Hazard sees their upcoming Europa League clash against POAK Salonika and Saturday’s league match against Fulham as the perfect chance to regain their form.He said: “It could have been a lot worse on Saturday. Everything was bad against Spurs. Against Tottenham, it is always going to be hard to start a game 2-0 down.”“We tried to push but it was not enough. It was a bad day, we need to move forward and try to bounce back.”“When you lose one, you don’t want to make it two. We have to win, we have to play better and win again.”“We want to go on another unbeaten run now. We want to take points. The target is to finish in the top four. In the Premier League, anything can happen.”“Next Sunday we can beat Fulham and other teams can lose points. There is no need to panic. We have been playing good football.”“We have shown since the beginning of the season we are a good team. So no panic, just try to forget this game.”Hazard also insisted the ankle knock he picked up is not as serious as first feared and will not keep him on the sidelines.The Belgian said: ‘I don’t think it is bad, I just twisted my ankle. I will get it checked but I think it is minor and I don’t think I will be out for any period of time.’Chelsea next face PAOK Thessaloniki in the UEFA Europa League on ThursdayRelatedHazard’s Condition Worries SarriOctober 24, 2018In “Europa League”Malaga CF vs Valencia CFJune 30, 2017Similar postEPL: ‘We take 13 players this time and two play only against Eden’, Says KloppApril 12, 2019In “England”