Home Broadcom tables record $130B Qualcomm offer Tags Previous ArticleAfghanistan defends WhatsApp, Telegram blockNext ArticleUS operators tipped for network investment battle Related AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 06 NOV 2017 BroadcomNXP SemiconductorsQualcomm Mobile Mix: AI, Android and open RAN Chris Donkin Broadcom made a $130 billion bid to acquire rival chip maker Qualcomm, a deal which would be the biggest ever struck for a technology company and one of the largest of all time.The transaction is worth $70 per share in cash and stock and includes proposals to clear Qualcomm’s $25 billion of net debt. Broadcom said it will honour a deal regardless of whether Qualcomm’s pending acquisition of NXP Semiconductors is approved.In a statement, Broadcom said its advisors were confident the nature of the deal would mean it was cleared by regulators in a “timely manner” and expected it to be completed within a year of being accepted.The bid comes days after intense speculation Broadcom was set to make a $100 billion offer – a sum Bloomberg reported would be rejected by Qualcomm as it “undervalued” the company.In a letter to Qualcomm shareholders, Broadcom CEO Hock Tan said: “A combination of Qualcomm and Broadcom will create a strong, global company with an impressive portfolio of industry-leading technologies and products.“Given the highly complementary nature of our businesses, we are confident that our global customers will embrace the proposed combination as we work strategically with them to deliver more advanced value-added semiconductor solutions.”ReviewQualcomm confirmed it received the unsolicited offer.In a statement, it added: “The Qualcomm board of directors, in consultation with its financial and legal advisors, will assess the proposal in order to pursue the course of action that is in the best interests of Qualcomm shareholders. Qualcomm will have no further comment until its board of directors has completed its review.”A deal between Broadcom and Qualcomm would be the largest acquisition of a technology company to date and would create the world’s third-largest chipmaker behind Intel and Samsung (see chart from Broadcom, left – click to expand).The current highest successful bid for the purchase of a chip company is Qualcomm’s $38 billion deal for NXP Semiconductors, an acquisition still going through a lengthy regulatory approval process.Broadcom’s shareholder offer is equivalent to Qualcomm’s share price in May 2015, prior to a well-publicised legal spat with Apple, which hit recent earnings and its share price. Author Las operadoras respaldan el papel de Qualcomm en la RAN abierta Blog: How is chip shortage affecting US? Chris joined the Mobile World Live team in November 2016 having previously worked at a number of UK media outlets including Trinity Mirror, The Press Association and UK telecoms publication Mobile News. After spending 10 years in journalism, he moved… Read more Español
Seafood Island, a new Cajun-style restaurant, opened Tuesday afternoon at 75th and Nieman in Shawnee.Located at 10810 W. 75th St., Seafood Island is the site of a former Ryan’s Buffet restaurant.Shawnee resident Eric Lin, who co-owns the restaurant, said he’s excited to open the restaurant and introduce his neighbors to their cuisine.“It’s been about almost nine months to plan it,” Lin said, noting his anticipation to impress customers with the Cajun cuisine. “We’re going to do something that’s good for Midwestern customers.”Lin said the coronavirus pandemic directly impacted his ability to renovate and open Seafood Island this spring. He had originally planned on an opening by mid-April.The renovated interior includes several painted murals of sea life on the walls.“Every time I asked coronavirus to go, he still stayed; that’s why I hate him,” Lin said with a wry smile.One benefit of the delay: Lin said he and his chefs had more time to refine the menu to fit Midwestern preferences for seafood.“The Gulf-side flavors may be different from what we have here in the middle of the States,” Lin added. “That’s why I wanted to bring in Midwestern tastes.”At this point, the restaurant will only offer carryout and delivery orders. Lin said he and his business partners will decide at a later date when they will allow customers to dine in.The owners have renovated the interior by replacing the buffet area with a centerpiece bar and multiple TV screens; adding painted murals of sea life along the walls; and building a stage for live entertainment.Capacity is normally about 300 to 350 customers, but when they open to allow dining in, the restaurant will only allow a much smaller capacity. The owners also have strict cleaning regimens for staff to keep themselves and customers safe. Tables will be distancing apart, and hand sanitizing stations will be posted near the entrance.Lin added that live entertainment will feature dinner music played by a variety of musicians.Tentative hours of operation are 12-9:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, 12-11:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
Reggae Girlz head coach Hue Menzies, says the upcoming games against Chile will provide the team with good preparation for their World Cup match against Brazil next summer. The Girlz face Brazil in the group stage and Menzies said Chile play a typical South American style, which will provide them with insight into the likely approach of the Brazilians. “We will be playing against Brazil (in the World Cup), so we get a chance to measure ourselves … . It also gives us an opportunity to look at the combination of players that we have,” he added. Speaking at a press briefing at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel yesterday, Menzies said the coaching staff would continue to look at players up to the last camp in May. However, he revealed that at least 14 players have already booked their places on the team to France and they are aiming to finalise the squad of 23 at their camp in April. He added that some of the new players have already impressed and have shown that they can add value to the group. “We have two games this week and we want to stay focused for the two games. We feel comfortable and we are in Jamaica and we want to show the product that we have. We have another set of games coming up in April, and we will be back here in May for the send-off game. After that, we go to Scotland, and then head off to France and get ready for the World Cup,” Menzies said. Tomorrow’s first game against Chile kicks off at 7 p.m. while Sunday’s match will begin at the same time at the Montego Bay Sports Complex.
Soccer Romellu Lukaku is reportedly in contention to start against Chelsea after shaking off an ankle injury. The Belgian striker has been sidelined for the past two weeks after hobbling off against Arsenal last month. Lukaku missed Manchester United’s final three Premier League games of the season, as he returned to Belgium to receive treatment. United were tempted to recall Lukaku for the final league encounter of the season, but decided it was best to save the 25-year-old for the FA Cup final. Lukaku returned to training on Tuesday and is now in line to start against his former side, the Sun claim. Chelsea and United go toe-to-toe in the final, with both sides desperate to add some silverware to a disappointing season. United were convincingly beaten by Manchester City to the league title, while Chelsea missed out on Champions League football by finishing fifth in the table. The return of Lukaku will be a major boost to United who rely on the goals from their No.1 striker. Lukaku has bagged 27 goals in his first season at United and will be hoping to end his debut campaign with a trophy.
Adam BullockWashington, D.C. (WLAF) – The National Advocates has announced that Adam Bullock of The Bullock Law Firm in La Follette has been selected for inclusion into its Top 40 Under 40 attorneys in Tennessee for Wills, Trusts, Estates, and Probate Law, an honor given to only a select group of lawyers as recognition of their superior skills and qualifications in the field. The selection for this exclusive list is limited to only 40 attorneys in each state who have demonstrated their extraordinary abilities with superior results, a high level of peer respect, and client satisfaction.Bullock said, “I am honored to receive this nomination for the second straight year. I take pride in all my estate planning work from will formations, powers of attorney, advance care directives, trust formation, and probating estates from start to finish.”The National Advocates is a professional organization comprised of premier lawyers from across the country who have demonstrated exceptional qualifications in their area of the law, including Matrimonial and Family Law, Employment Law, Social Security Disability Law, Immigration Law, Bankruptcy Law and Estates, Wills and Trusts. The National Advocates provides accreditation to these distinguished attorneys, and provides essential legal news, information, and education to lawyers across the United States.“Estate planning and probate can be stressful for anyone. I’m happy to offer my services to guide my clients step by step in estate planning as well as probate and trust administration.” said Bullock.With the selection for membership by The National Advocates, Bullock has exemplified superior qualifications, leadership skills, and case results as a legal professional. The selection process for this elite honor is based on a multi-phase process which includes peer nominations combined with third party research. As The National Advocates is an essential source of networking and information for attorneys throughout the nation, the final result of the selection process is a credible and comprehensive list of the most qualified lawyers chosen to represent their state.Bullock can be reached at (423) 566-6001 or e-mail, [email protected] The Bullock Law Firm is located behind the CVS on Independence Lane in La Follette. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 10/15/2019-6AM)Share this:FacebookTwitter